The Detroit Lions claimed defensive back DeQuan Menzie off waivers today after his release from the Kansas City Chiefs yesterday.
Menzie was drafted in the fifth round in 2012 by the Chiefs after a solid college career at Alabama and a 1st-Team All-American starting corner when the Tide won the National Championship in 2011, playing opposite Dre Kirkpatrick.
The talented corner never made an impact with the Chiefs, bothered by a nagging hamstring injury early in their offseason program. He would find his way to the injured reserve list and miss his rookie season.
With Andy Reid now running the show, changes were coming, and the Chiefs parted ways with Menzie.
At 5’11″ and 202 pounds, Menzie is more of a hitter than a missile, something the Lions need at least on special teams. He could also provide depth at safety and eventually work his way into a starting role, with five year veteran Glover Quinn obviously ahead of him on the depth chart at strong safety.
It is possible the Lions plan on using him as the eventual replacement for Louis Delmas, but the speed just isn’t there for him to fill that role in the Lions defensive scheme, and he has yet to show he can stay healthy and on the field.
The Lions begin their OTAs next week, and you can be sure they want to see what kind of shape Menzie is in after being out of football for nearly a year.
Questions need to be answered. Can Menzie stay on the field and healthy, and did the chiefs cut him simply because they are moving in a new direction?
If the chiefs are moving in a different direction on defense, and they probably are, Menzie might have a good chance at making the Lions roster, and at least should be able to contribute on special teams right away. It will all depend on how fast he picks up the Lions defensive system, and how the Lions plan to use him in the future.
Right now, Menzie is on the outside looking in, and would be depth at best on a Lions roster.
- Chiefs Make Three More Roster Moves (kcchiefs.com)
- Detroit Lions claim defensive back DeQuan Menzie off waivers (mlive.com)
- Chiefs Cut DeQuan Menzie (arrowheadaddict.com)
- Chiefs waive DB DeQuan Menzie, claim OT Matt Reynolds (profootballtalk.nbcsports.com)
- Detroit Lions excited about safety pairing of Glover Quin and Louis Delmas (mlive.com)
- Your New Lions! Freddie Bishop (thesilverdomeblues.com)
- Oh Snap! Oh Crap… (thesilverdomeblues.com)
- Titus Young continues downward spiral (thesilverdomeblues.com)