The Detroit Lions waived rookie linebacker Alex Elkins today, according to a report by the Detroit Free Press.
#Lions have released LB Alex Elkins
— Dave Birkett (@davebirkett) August 5, 2013
Elkins was an undrafted free agent from Oklahoma State, and had a slim shot of making the active roster. At 6’2″ and 240 pounds, the Lions wanted to see if he could contribute on special teams. I would expect that he would make a practice squad somewhere in the league with his potential, but it remains to be seen if that will be with the Lions.
Stephen Tulloch has the middle Linebacker spot locked down, while Deandre Levy has an outside linebacker spot locked down. Tahir Whitehead, Ashlee Palmer and Travis Lewis are competing for the other starting spot. Reports indicate that Palmer has the edge, but that’s based on his experience. I expect Whitehead to offer a serious challenge, and possibly step into the starting role in the near future.
As mentioned over at the Free Press, the Lions Seventh-round pick Brandon Hepburn, coverage specialist Cory Greenwood, Carmen Messina, and undrafted rookie Jon Morgan also are in camp.
Teams can begin to establish practice squads after the final cuts are made to the roster, bringing that down to 53 players. Each team can have up to eight players on a practice squad, though nine is possible if the ninth player is considered an international player by the league.
This move opens up a roster spot, and the current thinking is that the Lions are looking for a camp body to help out at DE or CB. Don’t be surprised if they decide to go in a different direction though, as they still need depth at the defensive tackle spot. The move should happen soon, as the Lions play their first preseason game this Friday at 7:30 PM against the New York Jets at Ford Field.
- Position Preview: Linebackers (prod.www.lions.clubs.nfl.com)
- Detroit Lions Training Camp Preview: Linebackers (sidelionreport.com)
- Starter or not, Detroit Lions expect LB Tahir Whitehead to contribute (mlive.com)
- Detroit Lions’ Ashlee Palmer considers starting outside linebacker job his to lose (mlive.com)
- Where the Lions roster stands: Linebacker (prideofdetroit.com)
- Too Early Roster Prediction (thesilverdomeblues.com)
- Lions Camp Family Fun and Football (thesilverdomeblues.com)
- Lions vs Jets Preseason is Here! (thesilverdomeblues.com)